A passenger who sparked an emergency landing because he smelled so bad that other flyers vomited has died.
Musician Andrey Suchilin was flying from Gran Canaria to Amsterdam on the Transavia flight when the decision was made to divert.
Initially other passengers thought he had poor hygiene but were quickly overwhelmed by the smell with some people being sick and others fainting. Staff tried to quarantine him in the toilets but the pilots decided the best course of action was to land the plane as soon as possible. He was taken to hospital where doctors confirmed that the Russian was suffering from gangrene – a form of necrosis whereby tissue starts to die and is caused by a lack of blood and oxygen to the affected area.
It is believed that the condition started while he was on holiday. He fell into a coma after a couple of days in hospital and a month later he died.
Belgian passenger Piet van Haut who had been on the plane, described the flight as ‘unbearable’. He said: ‘It was like he hadn’t washed himself for several weeks. Several passengers got sick and had to vomit.’
Staff on board the Transavia service who apparently did not know the man was sick even reportedly tried to quarantine him in a toilet of the Boeing 737 before the pilots decided to divert the flight.
They landed in the city of Faro, in the Algarve region of southern Portugal, so Suchilin could be removed from the flight.
A Transavia spokesman confirmed at the time that ‘the aeroplane diverted because of medical reasons, but it is indeed right that he smelled quite a bit.’
In February, a Transavia plane from Dubai to Amsterdam was forced to make an emergency landing in the Austrian capital of Vienna after a passenger could not stop farting, which caused a brawl between several passengers.